Thursday, September 2, 2010

Pencil Box

Sorry i am so late with this. Too many complications not the least of which was the closure, but here it is anyway with explanation.

Paper Garden Projects is having their monthly challenge with a fall theme. Cathy made a pencil box and that got me to thinking. If I could net get my copy of CorelDraw! to work even after taking it off my computer and re-installing it several times over the last 3 years, I could do a cutting file and cut this on  my silhouette! I don’t know why it keeps saying that the installation is unsuccessful. There was some comment on that on later versions of CorelDraw! and I know they don’t support this version anymore. So, I decided to check out the website again, and found that it is no longer  Canadian but the UK has the whole Corel product line. Very interesting! So I downloaded the same version that i had purchased and tried again but it still will not work and says the installation is unsuccessful.

Well here is my box anyway, some of it hand-cut and the decorations cut on the silhouette.

pencilbox_1

The Silhouette store files used are:

  • corn_in_a_row_C00694_2-5-8
  • pumpkins_C20090817105708_19007

The back view:

pencilbox_2

Paper used was a piece of Bazill cardstock from last year’s winter collection and a 12 x 12 inch piece of Sugar Rush (by Basic Grey)

Inks used to dolor the corn stalks and pumpkins were:

  • worn lipstick and  wild honey mixed on the cotton ball
  • scattered straw and wild honey wiped onto the paper separately and
  • vintage photo for the ground and shading.

I colored the pieces before i took them off the mat, this makes it easier to color them without bending and ripping.

The closure is a bit un-orthodox but it is all i had readily available. I took a length of embroidery floss (18 inches) and tied a knot in the center of that and glued it to the inside flap. If i had thought of it earlier i would have glued it between the decorative paper and the box itself. Wrapped that around to the back the to the front on each side and tied it in a bow. Because you can’t tie it too tight this way, you can slip it on and off.

pencilbox_3

If I had had some of the little magnets they would have been perfect for the closure on this case, but i am out at the moment. That’s one of those items i could use all the time.

2 comments:

Cathy at Paper Garden Projects said...

Oh My! That is awesome! I love how you did the top flap. And the decorations are perfect!

I keep thinking about getting into the cutting thing but have not jumped yet!

I was playing with the closure too - and the magnet just seemed easiest.

Romeo said...

How beautiful! You always create some of the best things!!! Well worth the wait I would think!

Purrs!

Romeo and "her"